Wednesday 13 June, 2007

[Taiwan Diary]: Taiwan English...

After hectic two weeks got sometime to sleep now! Last two weeks it’s been full of night outs. This time Taiwan trip turning out to be tougher.
I guess after coming here, my English is getting worst day by day. Its all bcoz of the way conversations happen here. Now I am gonna write you some of my conversations happened here.
One day it was around 10 O’Clock in the night client called and asked me about the release. The conversation started like this,
Client: Hi Rebecca speaking
Me: Hi
Client: when U release the application?
Me: 12th September
Client: 12 O Clock in night
Me: No
Client: When…When U release?
Me: I told U, we release…on September 12. Ok…. Date September 12.
Client: Ok..Ok…fine
Client: Thank you very much.

Talking over phone to Taiwani’s is very troublesome, very difficult to understand what they are telling and also very difficult to make them understand as well.
Once what happened, I went to client place, I went to Rebecca’s cabin, she was not at her seat. I looked around, some one told her about my arrival it seems, So she looked from other cabin and she told me, “ Hi Rebecca speaking !!!!”
She was so much used to talking over phone.

One more incident, it was experienced by the developer who came there in the last moment.
It was around 10 'O Clock in the night, one of our client called. I spoke to her then gave it to other colleague.They spoke for sometime, then client was telling something,she (colleague) didn't get what the client was telling, so she told her to mail it, so that she can reply to it...to our surprise we came to know that she was telling "Good night, see you tomorrow"...uff...its so difficult to understand!

Then once one client asked me. “What do you do for food?” I told, “I cook my food”. He replied, “Oh! You are a good Cooker then!!!”

1 comment:

lucky said...

Hi Happy New Year!
I love your lovely story, especially Hi Rebecca speaking I feel sure she really telling something via phone, ha ha, you are a cooker not a cook, Chinese often make this grammar mistake,
I have been to India on vocation for 45 days on my own. I travelled in Northern India and Nepla. One ticket for two countries.
While I traveling ther, It was hard to meet the people who heard of Taiwan, some said'ha ha , china others said' you come from Thailand.
but I cherish the journey to India I love the culture and historical sites and friendly people, I love India.
It was an incredible experience to me!
Taiwan cuttie